The Marysville Museum, Lavington, has what it claims as “…the only one of its kind in the world”. This is described as an horse drawn fire engine built for the British Army.
Sydney, Museum of Fire has “Big Ben” this ‘Equilibrium’ in its collection. Their web site explains that the steamer was towed to fires (at first by horses, and later by trucks) up until 1929, and kept on stand-by for another five years.. A set (4) postage issued by Australia in 1983 shows an 1891 Shand Mason on the 27c stamp, possibly “Big Ben”. Ben”. Also a c1900 Merryweather & Sons Valiant
This engine was spent most of its working life at Eastern Hill. Now preserved in the Fire Services Museum, Melbourne, Victoria.
Horse-drawn ‘Valiant’ model on display in Penrith Museum of Fire, Sydney, Australia.
Possibly a single cylinder ‘County Council’ model with a 200gpm capacity. Its working life was spent at Broken Hill Central Fire station, Australia.Taken out of service and sold in 1921 and discovered in an old wool store in 1958. It has since been restored to working order and is now displayed the Steam Revolution room at a Sydney’s Powerhouse Museum.
Located at Adelaide fire station; South Australia Metropolitan Fire Brigade.
Information supplied by Frank Sidney a Dutch firefighter stationed at Rotterdam.
‘Jubilee’. Single cylinder engine. In service at Masterton, New Zealand. Now preserved in the Masterton Jubilee Fire Museum.
‘Torrent’ has a water tube boiler and single horizontal pump with an output of 250gpm.”This engine has been constructed in answer to the demand for a Horizontal Engine with coal bunkers and means of stoking at the back of the boiler. The steamcylinder, slide valve, fly-wheel, etc., are the same as in the Vertical Engine….Larger size engines of this pattrn would, on account of their greater bulk and weight, have the engine in front of the boiler.” It had a capacity of 350gpm and cost £450.
Shan Mason built this example for the Kaiapoi Borough Council and used by the fire brigade until the early 1930’s after which it was used by a stone quarry as a sluice pump. It was rediscovered, in a rather poor condition, in 1968 and hundreds of hours ensued to bring it back up to working order. It is now on display at Ferrymead Historic Park, Christchurch.
1889 Shand Mason & Co.’
London Brigade Vertical B’ model. 260gpm capacity for Ashburton, New Zealand. Christened “Pride of Ashburton”. Fully restored in 1965 and refurbished in 1999 for the 125th Anniversary of the Ashburton Fire Brigade.
1901 Merryweather & Sons.
‘”In December 1901, the brigade’s [St Albans Borough] first appliance arrived. …..capable of pumping water at the rate of 23 litres per second. The engine was named The Taniwha, (meaning The Water Dragon), by the Mayoress at an evening ceremony on December 13″.
The engine is a Merryweather ‘Greenwich Gem’ double cylinder vertical model with an output of 350gpm. In 1903 the brigade amalgamated with Christchurch and the steamer remained in service until it was sold to a refrigeration company in 1921. In 1972 the Ferrymead Trust were able to acquire posession of the aging machine and restore it to full working order.
It is currently preserved by the Fire Services Historical Society, Ferrymead Historical Park